The BEST Skillet Salisbury Steak Recipe
Skillet Salisbury steak is a classic meal with a mouthwatering tender beef patty drowning in a rich homemade brown gravy. Serve it over some mashed potatoes and peas and you have yourself a winner!
I love Salisbury steaks. They are comfort food at its finest! For more delicious steak recipes try skillet garlic butter herb steak and potatoes, garlic butter and herb steak bites, or cube steaks with mushroom gravy!
Amazingly Delicious Skillet Salisbury Steak
Skillet Salisbury steak is a one of a kind meal. I have had to get creative with meals lately because my family is so busy. I’m always looking for recipes that are easy and require little clean up. This skillet Salisbury steak is that and more! Tender steaks drowning in a rich brown mushroom and onion gravy. It’s ready in just 30 minutes and is sure to please the entire family! You’ll want to make it again and again.
The delicious meat patties get those nice crisp pan-seared edges but are so tender on the inside. Honestly though, my favorite part is the rich brown gravy. It’s so flavorful and perfect for topping some mashed potatoes with! Since this recipe only takes 30 minutes to make, you’ll want to pair it with these Instant Pot mashed potatoes. They’re ready in 15 minutes and complete the meal so well!
What is the Difference Between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak?
A Salisbury steak contains more fillers such as breadcrumbs, sauces, onions and an egg whereas a hamburger steak only contains salt and pepper. They are very similar and may not have a difference at all depending on the recipe itself. A Salisbury steak can be served on its own or with other sides to make it a meal. They are very similar and both commonly served with a gravy mixture.
Ingredients You’ll Need
You really don’t need a lot to put these skillet Salisbury steaks together. They’re so simple but packed with flavor! The full list of ingredients with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef: To form the Salisbury steaks with. You can also use ground turkey if you want a leaner option.
- Breadcrumbs: I love adding breadcrumbs to the steaks because it gives them the best texture!
- Ketchup: Adds flavor and moisture to the patty mixture.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Enhances the meaty, savory flavor of the steaks.
- Mustard Powder: For a hint of tangy flavor!
- Egg: Helps to bind all of the ingredients together.
- Salt and Pepper: Add an extra layer of seasoning. You can also use seasoning salt.
- Butter: For cooking the patties in. It also infuses them with flavor.
- Olive Oil: You will use this to cook the mushrooms and sliced onion in.
- Mushrooms: Regular brown mushrooms work great!
- Large Onion: Sliced onion infuses this dish with so much savory flavor. If you don’t want the flavor to be too overpowering, go for a sweet onion.
- Beef Broth: Acts as the base of the gravy.
- Ketchup: Adds extra flavor and substance to the gravy.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds an extra pop of tangy, savory flavor!
- Cornstarch: Thickens up the gravy. You can also use flour as a substitute.
- Water: Use to adjust the consistency.
How to Make Skillet Salisbury Steak
This is a knockout dinner that whips up in no time at all! It’s perfect for busy weekdays when you’re craving something hearty. Here’s how to get your skillet Salisbury steaks tasting absolutely delicious!
- Shape Patties: In a medium-sized mixing bowl add the ground beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined and then shape into 4 oval patties.
- Cook in Butter: Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties and then cook until the sides are slightly crisp and cooked throughout. Remove and then set aside on a plate.
- Sauté Vegetables: Add the olive oil to the pan with the mushrooms and onion and cook until tender. Then set aside on a plate.
- To Make the Gravy: Add the beef broth, ketchup, and worcestershire sauce to the skillet. Then in a small bowl, add the cornstarch and water creating a slurry. Whisk it into the gravy and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and then add the mushrooms, onions, and patties back to the skillet. Allow to simmer until the gravy starts to thicken. Then salt and pepper to taste. Serve over mashed potatoes and peas and then garnish your Salisbury steaks with fresh parsley if desired.
Can You Bake Salisbury Steak?
Yes! Combine all of the ingredients for the Salisbury steak. Then place the steak patties in an oven safe pan or skillet. Pour the gravy over the top of the steaks. If you would like to roast your vegetables at the same time, add them into the pan with the steak and gravy. Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 35 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steaks
I love to serve Salisbury steak with potatoes, noodles or even rice. To make this into a great family meal, add in some vegetables like green beans, peas, roasted cauliflower, or carrots to bring in some color and extra flavor. Mashed potatoes are also a must! Here are a few of my favorite recipes on the blog.
Store your leftover Salisbury steaks for a quick and easy lunch. It’s so easy to warm them up and they taste just as good as when you made them!
- In the Refrigerator: Store for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheating: I always like to reheat leftover Salisbury steaks in a skillet over medium heat. If you need to add moisture back to the patties or gravy, add a splash of beef broth. You can also reheat your steaks in the microwave with 1 minute cooking intervals.
More Quick and Easy Beef Dinners
Looking for more hearty, satisfying meals that don’t take hours to prepare? I’ve got you covered! Here are a few quick and easy steak dinners that will have the whole family raving. Most of them come together in 30 minutes or less!
In a medium sized mixing bowl add the ground beef, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined and shape into 4 oval patties.
Heat the butter in a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties and cook until the sides are slightly crisp and cooked throughout. Remove and set aside on a plate.
Add the olive oil to the pan with the mushrooms and onion and cook until tender. Set aside on a plate.
To make the gravy: Add the beef broth, ketchup, worchestershire sauce to the skillet. In a small bowl add the cornstarch and water creating a slurry. Whisk it into the gravy and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the mushrooms, onions, and patties back to the skillet. Allow to simmer until the gravy starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over mashed potatoes and peas and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Updated January 13, 2023
Calories493kcal (25%)Carbohydrates20g (7%)Protein26g (52%)Fat34g (52%)Saturated Fat13g (65%)Polyunsaturated Fat2gMonounsaturated Fat15gTrans Fat2gCholesterol136mg (45%)Sodium1098mg (46%)Potassium714mg (20%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar6g (7%)Vitamin A322IU (6%)Vitamin C3mg (4%)Calcium81mg (8%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Keyword mushroom gravy, salisbury steak recipe, Skillet Salisbury Steak, skillet salisbury steak recipe
You may also like
Written by Recipes
Leave a Reply