Pumpkin Pie Icebox Cake | The Recipe Critic
Layers of graham crackers and a creamy pumpkin filling make up this Pumpkin Pie Icebox Cake — an easy no-bake dessert for fall! Every one of your guests will be licking their plate clean!
Pumpkin desserts are always a hit at our house! They are baked all season long! And let’s be honest… They are so good that we bake them all year long! Try out some of my favorites like this delicious Pumpkin Tres Leches, this yummy Pumpkin Chiffon Pie with Biscoff Crust, or these super simple and easy Pumpkin Spice Buddies!
What is Pumpkin Icebox Cake?
Pumpkin icebox cake is like a lighter and simpler version of a pumpkin cheesecake! I’m a big fan of icebox cakes because they are so simple to throw together and you can customize them in so many ways. This pumpkin version had to happen!
I really wanted to keep things simple this time — the filling is just a mixture of real whipped cream (<— the only way to go), pumpkin puree, and spices. If you wanted to mix things up, you could definitely add some instant vanilla pudding or some cream cheese or throw some candied nuts on top! The options are endless. It is layered with graham crackers, and that’s my kid’s favorite part!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Icebox Cake
This recipe is simple and easy, and so are the ingredients! I’m sure that during the fall season, you have some canned pumpkin on hand; if you do, this recipe is perfect! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Graham Crackers: These will create layers in between the filling mixture.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This adds that perfect light and fluffy texture.
- Powdered Sugar: The powdered sugar sweetens up the cream creating a delightfully sweet flavor.
- Spices: Cinnamon, ground cloves, and nutmeg are all classic fall spices that complement the pumpkin so well.
- Vanilla: A splash of vanilla adds a great, subtle flavor to the filling.
- Pumpkin Puree: You can use one can of pumpkin puree, or you make it from home using this recipe!
How to Make Pumpkin Icebox Cake
As much as the classic pumpkin pie is a big part of many holiday celebrations, this Pumpkin Pie Icebox Cake is an easy option for those who maybe don’t want to bother with pastry or don’t have a lot of extra time on their hands between the turkey, the stuffing, the sides (etc., etc., etc…..) — or maybe those who just want to mix things up!
- Beat: Beat cream with an electric mixer on high in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 cup and refrigerate.
- Add: Add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, and pumpkin, and beat on low until incorporated.
- Layer: Place one single layer of graham crackers into the bottom of an 8×8″ pan. Top with ¼ of the pumpkin mixture (I like to use a piping bag to do this — it goes quickly and is easier to spread!).
- Repeat: Repeat layers three more times so that there are four layers of graham crackers, each topped with ¼ of the pumpkin mixture.
- Chill: Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until the cake is set and the graham crackers have softened. Cut into squares and serve with reserved whipped cream.
This icebox cake can easily be switched up with toppings or mix in’s to make it fun and different every single time! Here are a few ideas that you can try out!
- Mix-Ins: You can try adding some cream cheese or instant vanilla pudding to the filling mixture to change up the taste and texture!
- Toppings: I love adding nuts to any fall treat! My favorites are pecans, but you could use walnuts, almonds, or any kinds of nuts that you love. I also think you can never go wrong adding in some mini chocolate chips to a pumpkin dessert!
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
Yes! Pumpkin icebox cake has to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours, so this is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time! Cover your icebox cake with a lid or foil while it chills in the fridge. Take it out and slice it up just before serving!
More Delicious Pumpkin Treats
I love pumpkin treats. They hit the spot on any fall day and can be used for any occasion. Try out some more of these fall treats and they will last you all season long!
Beat cream with an electric mixer on high in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 cup and refrigerate.
Add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla, and pumpkin and beat on low until incorporated.
Place one single layer of graham crackers into the bottom of an 8×8″ pan. Top with ¼ of the pumpkin mixture (I like to use a piping bag to do this — it goes quickly and is easier to spread!).
Repeat layers 3 more times so that there are 4 layers of graham crackers, each topped with ¼ of the pumpkin mixture.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until the cake is set and the graham crackers have softened. Cut into squares and serve with reserved whipped cream.
Updated on November 14, 2022
Calories297kcal (15%)Carbohydrates20g (7%)Protein2g (4%)Fat24g (37%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat6gCholesterol75mg (25%)Sodium21mg (1%)Potassium177mg (5%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar17g (19%)Vitamin A9446IU (189%)Vitamin C3mg (4%)Calcium60mg (6%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course Dessert, Snack
Keyword icebox cake, icebox cake recipe, pumpkin icebox cake
Leave a Reply